Pediatric (Children's) Dentistry
We strive to keep a very kid friendly atmosphere. From coloring in the waiting room, to getting a special prize at the end of the appointment, and everything step in between.
We strongly encourage positive reinforcement before coming to the dentist, even role playing and allowing your child to look into your mouth or help you brush. Read Laura's blog article about ways to help your child want to brush their teeth! We are trained in how to address kids appropriately and we find that it works best when parents are present but allow us to guide your child through treatment.
The American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics have started recommending finding a dental home for your child by age 1. This early dental visit is typically informational only to discuss proper care of the teeth at home, including diet, and discussion of use of pacifiers, bottles, etc. It may include a quick oral exam if your child allows and application of a fluoride varnish. Dr. Berry and our hygienists, Denise and Laura, hope to see your child for regular dental check-ups as soon as they have their first tooth. We like to make the first appointment very fun and relaxed! You will hear us introduce our “friends” like Mr. Thirsty the suction and discuss how we are using a special toothpick to check for sugar bugs, or teeth tickling for polishing. We avoid words they may find scary like drill, and say whistle instead!
These are services we provide:
- Prophylaxis (cleanings): Preventative cleaning appointments recommended every 6 months.
- Exams: Dr. Berry will provide a thorough examination of your child and address any concerns you may have.
- Radiographs: X-rays are a necessary and safe way to screen for dental diseases including decay and are also used to monitor developing teeth in your child. Our office uses exclusively digital radiographs to lower the radiation dose and provide improved quality images over traditional film radiographs. Digital radiographs also let us share the images quickly with any specialist your child may need to see (ex. orthodontist) to provide your family with seamless care between offices.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction: Our hygienists, Denise and Laura will help your child be a brushing champion and review different methods to achieve a healthy mouth.
- Fluoride: Fluoride is a safe way to help prevent cavities. Most children should receive fluoride treatments twice a year to help prevent cavities and protect new adult teeth that are erupting.
- Sealants: Sealants cover the grooves on the biting surface of adult teeth to protect against cavities.
- Fillings: In the case your child needs a filling, Dr. Berry can treat most children in the office. For fillings, it is best if your child in treated in the morning as this is when most kids are most cooperative resulting in a better experience for your child.
- Emergency Treatment: Unfortunately sometime kids will fall and break a tooth or have some other type of dental emergency. Don't panic! Call the office as soon as possible so we can help get your child comfortable as soon as possible.
If you would any questions about any of our services or inquire about any services not listed here, just give us a call at 207-465-7300 or send us a message here.